Friday, April 17, 2009

A-V (Amsterdam to Van Gogh)

What a full day I had today! I moved out of Maes B&B (b/c I could only have it for 2 nights) and took the tram to the outskirts of Amsterdam to Blaine's B&B. Blaine's partner Peter owns the Season's restaurant I went to last night for dinner. It was much further out than I had expected but it was a good opportunity to see another point of view of the city.

I took the tram back into the city and got off at the Flower Market. I strolled around there and then headed to Newmarket and the Red Light District. There were many women standing in the glass window doorways wearing skimpy bikinis not so much lingerie but more like bikinis. This was at about 11 am! There were a lot of "coffeeshops", hash stores and sex stores in this area. Even though it was broad daylight, I felt uncomfortable.

I continued my day of walking to Dam Square - the heart of Amsterdam. Locals call it "the Dam" and this is where a dam was built in the 13th century on the Amstel River. There used to be tides in the canals and it used to be salt water - now with the controlling of all the dams and locks there are no tides and all the canal water is fresh water. Here at the Dam is the National Monument and Koninklijk Palace. There are many street performers (mimes) and protesters in this square.

I started walking again and ended up back in the neighborhood where I stayed the first nights. It was beginning to rain and chilly so I headed to Pancake Bakery - a touristy restaurant but it was warm, cozy and had these unique pancakes. They were between a pancake and a crepe - I had apple and cheese - and there was Dutch syrup which was kind of like molasses.
When I finished my late lunch the sun was shining and it turned into a gorgeous day. I saw the Anne Frank statue and the triangle pink granite plaque which was the Homomonument. It is the first memorial for all the gay men and women who lost their lives in WWII.

I decided to take a canal tour from 4-5pm. Not time like the present! The captain of the boat opened the sky roof and the back of the boat and I soaked in the sun and enjoyed the canal tour with some other folk. There are about 250,000 house boats on the canals.

I continued my walking and end up at an Irish pub for cocktail hour sitting outside and people watching. Then I continued to the Van Gogh Museum. It was about 6:30pm. I started with "Colours of the Night" exhibit where I learned a lot about Van Gogh and saw the Starry Night painting. Then I had dinner at the cafe before I continued to tour the rest of the museum. As Friday nights are late nights for the museum to be open - they provide jazz musicians to play. So as I toured the rest of the museum - seeing Sunflowers, the Bedroom, and other famous paintings by Van Gogh and other artists I listened to jazz music! Not bad!

By 9pm I was exhausted and hopped on the tram to head to bed.
Other observations about the day: Everyone rides bikes and pedestrians need to be careful. No one wears helmets. Women in high heels, dresses, raincoats, carrying flowers, coffee, cell phones, purses, packages ride with ease and balance! Men in suits with briefcases, coffee, groceries, etc. also ride confidently around the corners over the bridges. Babies are placed in a little seat at the front or in a wagon in the front or kids are strapped in the back - it's pretty amazing sight.
Everyone I have seen are skinny or fit. I have seen the best looking men here and men with button-downs and suit jackets.

No comments: