Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Germany-Amsterdam


Natasha drove me to the Kaiserslautern train station where I boarded at 11:40am - I switched in Frankfurt. Even though I was at this train station 13 years ago, I sensed I had been there before. I do remember MaryLynne took a picture of me outside the train station as this is where my jar of Skippy peanut butter had run out!

I had to switch again in Cologne due to technical problems - but DB was efficient and had a train ready for all us to board - even with our reserved seats indicated. The trains are great in Germany and the view was green and had spring in the air. Everything was in bloom and people were tending to their gardens. Animals had babies all around them - I think I saw more lambs then I did sheep. It was a great example of spring!

I arrived in Amsterdam at 5:30pm - walked to find my B&B and fortunately found it without a problem. But look out for those bicycles!!!! They are everywhere and they will run you over if you don't look out!

Most of the B&B's I found were run by gay couples as Amsterdam has a huge population of gay and lesbians. The house I am staying at is from 1790 in Central location! Fortunately I only had to hike up one narrow and steep set of stairs to get to my room. Lovely room and one floor up was where breakfast was served.

I took the advice of Vlad (one the BY&B owners) and set off to Anne Frank's House as evenings it may not be as crowded. There wasn't even a line - thankfully! Although we all know the story of Anne Frank's Diary - walking through the house was an incredible experience. I have to say the area where they lived was larger than I had anticipated but I surely wouldn't have wanted to stay there for over 2 years. There was a lot of video from her best friend, Mae Gils (somoene who helped Anne's family stayed hidden in the business (spelling of name I don't quite remember)) and from her father.

After the tour I went to a recommended Brown Cafe for dinner (De Reigers). It had delicious food - I had a steak.

Productive day I thought!

No comments: