Friday, August 5, 2011

New Faculty Orientation Week

 Our official work week began on August 1.  The school did a great job with balancing time in 
my classroom
our classroom with meetings.  We are slowly trying to wrap our heads around PYP and all the little details of information needed when beginning at a new school.
PYP training among new faculty
On Wednesday, I got my home internet hooked up as well as my TV channels.  I have found that the service people don’t arrive late here or even on time, they all seem to come early!  Yes early!
Charla - our new faculty orientation leader
I went out with another new colleague Jamine (who will be teaching art) and the drama teacher.  She should us where to get a large bottle of beer for only $6.  Then I went out with my mentor/buddy Zoe to a bar called Bar Bar.  The next day when I shared my evening with my orientation person, she exclaimed, “Wow you have already hit/found the top places! Impressive!”
Friday afternoon all three campuses of new faculty met at my school.  Significant others and children were also invited as we rode one of those double decker buses for a city tour.  So with 57 new staff members, plus their spouses and children, there were about 70 of us.
At the end of our tour the bus ended at the bottom of The Flyer.  The Flyer is similar to The Eye in London, yet larger.  Here we were met by all the senior administration and lead teachers.  We sat down and were served nice cold beers and dinner.  Some of the returning staff who were already had returned helped served us. 
Everyone chatted and socialized with everyone.  It was a wonderful evening.  All the leads, principals, VPs, teachers, even the head of the school Glenn and his wife walked from table to table chit-chatting.  It is truly a welcoming and friendly group of people!

the whole gang enjoying dinner

1 comment:

dad said...

Jian,
Thanks for the update. Always good to hear your news. Pleased all is going so well and that the school seems so efficient and friendly.

You are well along in getting settled quite a change from Athens.

have a good week.
Love
Dad
xxoxox