Friday, August 19, 2011

First Week of Teaching

So I have survived my first week of teaching grade 2 in Singapore!  It was a L-O-N-G week!  Especially since I was in working on Saturday and Sunday and since it rained ALL DAY on Monday - indoor for 2 recesses!

21 of my 23 students were present on the first day of school.  All the students have shown up this week but there was never a day which all of them were present at school.  Of those 23 students, they come from at least 12 different nations and of those 23 students at least 15 of them are fluent in at least 2 languages!

I think the kids have adjusted to a new teacher, a new routine and being in second grade.  Me?  Well I am still adjusting working, and working in a new school and a new grade!

Every day I write a message on the board for the kids to read, sign in , answer a question and then go do something I have told them to do….
So on Friday I wrote this:
Finally it is Friday!  Fabulous week my Friends!
Please sign in and write one word which begins with  F.

(Can you see where this story is going?  But come on they are SECOND graders – 6-8 year olds!!!)

So everyone writes their name and a word which begins with F.  We had fun, funny, Friday, fish, fat, etc.  And then someone (yes a boy) writes F..K that is what he wrote – with the dots!  Some little girl comes and tells me  “Johnny” wrote the F word on the board!  So I ask Johnny to join me in the hall and I ask him what he wrote on the board.  He blatantly said F—K (I am not going write it but he said it!)  I sternly tell him that word is inappropriate to use as an adult and especially as a child.  And then he continues to say “But Dad let me watch Fast and Furious – and they say it all the time.”  My response… Fast and Furious – THOSE are F words!!!!  

Good grief!  Happy Friday!!!!






3 comments:

Jules said...

OMG Rivers!!!! Great come back from the F-word drama! Well done:) Indoor recess....what a bummer....and in the first week! It sounds like you are rockin it out though...as usual:) Connor started 2nd grade this week and Aidan 3rd. Time goes by so fast it is insane. I will send some picks!
Friends of ours are going to be in Singapore for 2 weeks. I will get the details to you ASAP. Jennifer Hawn and Duncan Black. She is on my facebook. Duncan works for LucasFilms and Jennifer works in real estate and also w/ Mike.

You look really happy! We miss you and are sending BIG HUGS! Much Love, Julie

Christina Birbil said...

Perfect story!! I love it!

Angelik Grigoratos said...

What a laugh....I remember those mornings in 4th grade but never an F word incident :-) Hope you well my friend xoxoxoxox