Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Island #2 - Spetses

Well my friends and I ventured to another island this past weekend (Oct. 24-26). Our ferry was about 3 hours and we arrived about 9pm on the island of Spetses. A larger island than Hydra but still with limited vehicles. Mostly scooters, motopeds, horse and buggy and bikes! We were being quite venturous to not pre-book our ferries or accomomdations. However, we had forgotten it was like a long weekend. Tuesday was a holiday - more to come.... So we had to pay for business class there and economy on the way home. The waves were large on the way and the trip there was very queasy for all of us (Kate, Dwain, Miah and myself). However, we did find a great "hotel" called Villa Christina Hotel and since it was the end of the season, we only had to pay 35 Euros a night and since Kate I shared, only 35 Euros for the weekend.
Saturday morning we poked around the stores and then rented bikes and biked around the coast of the island. Not all the way but for about 5 miles until we came to somewhat of a path, where we walked our bikes part way down and then walked the rest of the way down. There was a tree with a rope tied around it to help us lower ourselves further down the hill. And finally we landed at a secluded rocky/pebble beach. I was the first one in the Mediterranean Sea! It was great! Saturday night we met Christina (a first grade teacher) on the island as she was visiting a friend - Christain. Believe it or not, he was Greek-Canadian. I can't tell you how many Canadians I have met here! Sunday we biked a little more to the 'old' harbor where there were all these metal sculptures.
We caught our ferry back to Athens at 2:30 pm. And then took the metro and then I took my bus and was home by 6:45.
Yesterday (Monday) I worked then went to IKEA to buy the remainder of the furniture I need. I successfully took the bus home ! I was quite proud of my accomoplishment. I had bought the special bus ticket on the way to work. A colleague drove me out there. I found the bus stop and took the bus home (about 25 minutes).

Today is Oxi Day (pronounced Ohe - means No) (aside - oxi means no and nai means yes - like I am ever going to learn this language). This is the day in 1944 when Greece said NO to Mussolini as the Italians wanted to take over Greece. It's a national holiday. So this morning I put more effort into unpacking and putting away my belongings which arrived over a week ago. Cleaned - did 2 loads of laundry and now down here at the smoky internet cafe.

No comments: