Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Free Cruise and Concerts

On Tuesday, I went to the Athens Concert Hall to see a free performance of the ancient Thai puppet show - this technique was developed in the 11th century. It is a marionette puppet moved by 3 people who are also mimicing the puppets feelings and movements. One of my students is from Thailand.




I was quite busy this weekend. On Friday I went to The Mall - quite large. I went to a movie - fortunately the movies are in English with Greek subtitles. I saw Tropic Thunder - I can imagine my guy friends liking it better than my gal friends but that's just my opinion. The ticket prices are just like home but you get to reserve your seat when you get your ticket!






Saturday is my daily activity of cleaning and doing errands and going out for lunch in my neighborhood. Then the school (or a board member) hosted a free cruise to nowhere - basically a cocktail party on a boat. Similar to taking a cruise on the Potomac. Here I finally met Matt Barrett and his wife - he is this guy whose website I found when I first googled Greece. It is full of helpful hints and facts. He and his wife are ACS graduates and decided to send their daughter to ACS this year for 10the grade. We all went out for pizza after the cruise - which meant I was eating dinner at 2am - quite the Greek way!!!!
On Sunday, my friend Flynn (curly brown hair) and Dave (other photo) went to the original "modern" Olympic stadium (built in 1896 or 98) made completely out of marble to see see a free concert. Dave, who has lived in Athens for 8 years, said they have never had a concert here and it was free to boot! We saw many artists including Kaiser Chiefs and R. E. M.! R.E.M. was the real reason I went! It was really cool!

3 comments:

Adele, John & Alex said...

Sounds like you are having a great time! Keep in touch!

Adele

Anonymous said...

Jill,
Who are the good looking guys????

Love
Dad
xxoxoxoxoxo

susan spingler said...

Jill,
I am so glad to hear that you are settled and having fun!!
Love to you!
Susan S