Monday, September 22, 2008

When It Rains, It Pours




I had a very busy weekend which was great. On Friday there was the PTO (like PTA) BBQ at school. From there I took the metro downtown to Syntagma Square to meet Karl and Elaine Miller from Bethesda. Karl and Elaine are good friends with my parents. They happened to be in town and so it worked perfectly that I was able to meet up with them. They were staying in the classy Grande Bretagne Hotel which has a picturesque view of the Acropolis. We had dinner on the roof top looking right at the Acropolis! It was so good to see familiar faces and thank you Karl and Elaine for the delicious dinner and great company.

After dinner I went to my colleague Steve’s flat who lives near the Temple of Zeus. I slept there and then was up again at the crack of dawn, on Saturday, to catch the metro to go to Piraeus where I was catching at 8:20 am ferry to Hydra – the first island adventure!
What an adventure it was! It hadn’t rained on the island in 6 months – I repeat 6 MONTHS! And of course, as I am getting on the ferry and during the entire ferry trip (1.5 hours) and for the entire day and night – it rained and rained and rained. And it was windy and cold. Remember – my first island trip!

My friends Dwain, Miah, Kate, Lindsay, Phaedra and Eric had already gone to the island on Friday night. The water just rushed down the stone streets like rivers. Hydra is a small island with no cars. So they met me there and we hung out and slept on Saturday – then went out for dinner. Thankfully Sunday was better. Not fantastic but dry. There are many nooks and crannies of passage ways which led to beautiful views and picturesque white-washed buildings with vibrant colored doors and shutters. Not all like Santorini or Mykonsos but still all was lovely.

After breakfast at the same taverna we had breakfast at Saturday, we all went on a hike up the mountain in search of the two monasteries. We had heard that two monks lived in one but we found no one home in either. However the view was breathtaking. After our hike we sort of went our separate ways. I had lunch overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and reading my book. Others caught earlier ferries home and some went swimming!

It was a relaxing, small, quaint port and town. It had many stray cats, donkeys used to haul people’s possessions up the hill whether it is someone’s suitcases or groceries. There was a lot of great people watching and boats to see – small fishing boats to large yachts. A real nice relaxing weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you put the sun back in one's day!!!!!!!
Weather aside it sounds like a great weekend...Millers' dinner, island rendezvous, quiet time, new ventures. Glad you were able to stay in Athens Fri. night.
have a good week. Think of you often.
Love
Dad
xxoxxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Jill, are you anywhere near where Mama Mia was filmed? The photos look great! Keep'em coming!
Margo