Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day of School

Today was my first day of school. As of yesterday I had 23 students, this morning 25. 25..... I don't know where to put them. 12 girls, 13 boys. Plus it was a girl's birthday today - the day was chaotic!

The Greek way to call on the student is "Miss" "Miss" (This Miss is for teachers who are Mrs. or Ms.) All day long "miss, miss, miss"

I am hoping that when the structure day begins life will be better - but I am not counting my stars! Again photos soon....

Most of my students are Greek natives, some from Asia and handful from US. Some hardly know English too. Many new challenges - I will keep you posted. I know I will sleep well tonight.

"Leadership is the challenge to be something more than average." ~ Jim Rohn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill: So glad to hear you're having an exciting start to your Greek adventure! Tomorrow is Friday! Keep us posted...

Yasmin

Mare said...

Kalimera Kyria Jill, translation: good day, Ms. Jill. Hope you are having a fabulous start to this exciting adventure! You're lucky Ikea is there - it just opened a couple of years ago, if that. If your floors are marble or stone, buy some rugs before November, because it will get cold at night and you'll need the warmth. Try to get to Glyfada, the Athenian version of Yorkville and of course the Plaka in central/ancient Athens and the Monasteraki - you can find all household decor prettycheap there - but I warn you it will be mainly pottery featuring the robust young bodies of men thrusting spears into some poor helpless lion or goat...have fun, keep us in the loop
filakia (kisses)
mare