Saturday, May 8, 2010

Grandpa's Memorial

On Saturday, May 8 was my grandfather's memorial in Adrian, Michigan. Grandpa died in October 2009 and his ashes were buried yesterday.

I heard it was a cold day (49 degrees F) and windy. Yet I am sure there was warmth in the air from everyone's wonderful memories brought together of Grandpa. I heard that the VW's 21 gun salute and the playing of Taps was a nice touch. Gary read a reading:

To Those I Love and Those Who Love Me

When I am gone, release me, let me go.
I have so many things to see and do.
You must not tie yourself to me with tears.
Be happy that we had so many years.

I gave you my love, you can only guess how
much you gave to me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you have shown,
but now it's time I traveled on alone.


So grieve a while for me if grieve you must.
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It is only for a while that we must part,


so bless the memories within your heart.
I will not be far away for life goes on.
So if you need, call and I will come. Though
you can not see or touch me, I'll be near.


And if you listen with your heart, you will hear
all of my love around you soft and clear.
And then, when you must come this way alone,
I will greet you with a smile and "Welcome Home".


Thank you Kelly for reading my reading. I wish I could have been there to read it or share the memories with everyone. I hope I don't regret not flying back to the states for the service - I did regret it last night.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Jill, Regret not...you were there very vicariously!!!! Your creative writing about Grandpa was terrific, as was Kelly's reading of same.

For sure you were missed and everyone asked of you, and then marveled at your spririted adventure in Greece.

So trust me you were there in many ways.

Love
Dad
xxoxxoxoxo