Sunday, May 16, 2010

Conference to Concert

Friday after work the annual OM (Optimal Match) Learning Differences Conference began. I went to a session about math and technology - and boy if I had some classroom computers or a Smartboard in my class - I could do a lot. (But I don't). Then I went to a session called Differentiated Learning.
Saturday morning the conference continued. I attended all 4 sessions - in the morning spent 3 hours with the tech support team from Fairfax County, VA - and they gave me LOADS of fantastic ideas. And they put it all on a CD for everyone - wonderful! I attended the Do you know what Microsoft Can do? and Word Strategies. Then in the afternoon I attended Why is Math So Hard? this was more on theory than hands on activities I could use in the classroom. Then I attended Dr. Anna Sugarman's Leadership session. I attended some of her workshops last year - and she is just fantastic!

After a long but well worth it conference, my friends and I jumped into some taxis and headed over to the 9th Annual African Festival which was at the South African Ambassodors Residence. Not too shabby! There were many booths of different countries with food and African handicrafts. There was also live music. The weather this weekend was lovely, cool and breezy so it was lovely. My friend Miah's nanny Marien was there - see photo below.



Marien and Miah










And then this girl came up to me and was so excited to see me, however, I didn't know who she was. When I finally realized who she was, it was Christina from Uganda - she used to clean my classroom after schools. I always stay so late, I befriend the cleaning staff - and she spoke English. I cannot believe she recognized me.









Me and Christina

Then on Sunday afternoon, 7 of us went to Badminton Theater to see Evita. It was really great, although our seats were a little too far away for my liking.

Christy, Sue, me, Miah, Lacey, Lindsey, Kate, Lacey
Then some of us went to TGI Fridays for some good ol' American food!
What a great weekend! Next weekend, the island of Rhodes!

No comments: