Monday, January 25, 2010

London - Job Fair

I came to London for a job recruitment fair - similar to the one I attended in NY in 2007 but on a smaller scale. In 2007, people had said to me you won't find a job in Europe because you don't have international experience. But I did get a job then. So now I was heading to London with almost 2 years of international experience but it's not that simple...

Unfortunately things really didn't go very well. I had researched, planned, organized - I had foreseen if I didn't get any job offers; however, I didn't foresee the problem I ran into like a brick wall. Saturday was an extremely difficult, disappointing and depressing day. It's not because the interviews didn't go well it's because I couldn't get an interview! due to the fact I didn't have PYP experience (Primary Years Programme - a type of curriculum often used in international schools). I had 2 interviews at the end of Saturday - one with a school in Leipzig, Germany and one with ACS Egham - the interviews seemed to go fine. I did hear back from England and unfortunately they didnt think I had the right fit - they were a PYP school.

On the somewhat positive side of it, it's early in the game. Though I am not planning on attending any more job fairs, I will be constantly sending my resume to schools.

On a more positive side, I am glad I had Sunday to have a pick-me-up day. It took me a while to get myself out of my hotel room but in the afternoon, I took a double decker bus down to an area called Covent Gardens - great little shops, restaurants, street entertainers, etc. I first went to the box office of the Lion King - because online it indicated it was sold out. However I WAS able to get a seat and as you know it was FABULOUS!!!!!! I loved the giraffes! And Timon was also fantastic! Really incredible. The music really hits the inside of your body - so powerful!

It ended a 6pm so then I went back to the Covent Gardens area and had a pint of beer called Courage Best at a pub I found in my guidebook called The Lamb and the Flag! Then had dinner at a pub called Sussex. Although I tried to get my bearings to take the bus back to the hotel I couldn't figure it out so hopped into a taxi!

So I am glad the trip ended on a positive note and it helped me cheer up and reflect. Boy I would love to live in London - so much to do and see.

So I leave you with this - my thought at the beginning of the trip and the end of trip.

"Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places! You're off and away. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care. About some you will say, "I do't choose to go there. OH! THE PLACES YOU'LL GO! You'll be on your way up! You'll be seeing great sights! You'll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.
Except when you don't. Because, sometimes, you won't. I'm sorry to say so but, sadly, it's true that Bang-ups and Hang-ups can happen to you. But on you will hike and I know you'll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.
Just be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. And you will succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! 998 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.) KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS! You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! your mountain is waiting. So.... get on your way!
" ~ Dr. Seuss

No comments: