Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's A Small World

On Friday, 5 minutes before the end of the school, a high school counselor comes into my classroom and shows me a business card and asks me if I know this person. I look closely at the business card and it indicates it is from John Hopkins University and I then look at the name and it says Cynda Hylton Rushton. And I say yes I know this person and the counselor says well she is at the Italian restaurant beside the school - and I say "No way!"

So I ran over there and it was one of those moments I saw Cynda and we ran and gave big hugs. It was just so great to see someone from "home." And what a surprise!

So for those who don't know Cynda, she is the mother of two wonderful girls I taught at Stone Ridge. Hillary is a junior in high school - I taught her my second year at SR - third grade and then she did my adventure camp and then Callie who is now a freshman at SR.

Cynda asked this counselor if a Jill Rivers worked at ACS - and Ellen, the counselor, said I think she is our new fourth grade teacher!
Cynda is working in cooperation with the Stavros Niachros Center at our school - see link http://www.snf.org/Default.aspx?ID=34&PID=45&newsID=140 and her involvment with HeartSong Project - http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Study-to-explore-ethical-challenges-health-professionals-face-while-caring-for-children-with-LTNMDs-33311-1/
About Mattie Stepanek http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5272180/?GT1=3584 So Cynda was actually in town in November 2008 preparing for this summit. The big event is at the Music Hall in Athens on Friday, so I will attend it, hopefully with a friend.

This past Friday night we went out for dinner to catch up.

Another pleasant surprise was when my good friend Stefanie from Oklahoma called me this morning to say hello. Thanks Stefanie! I met Stefanie in Costa Rica with the Global Volunteers program and Stefanie is coming to visit me the first week in July - we are very excited!!!

Another good weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jill,
You are so right, and it seems to be getting smaller. It is so exciting when people remember, take the time to call, get together....Good on you, as you obviously touched a family back at Stoneridge, and this busy Doctor/mother was thoughtful enough to reach out!!!!You just never know who, when, why, and where but bingo it is great. And you are going to her big event next week...terrific.

So glad you are keeping up on your BLOG, putting Dad to shame as I'm way behind with mine.

HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY


Love
Dad
xxxoxoxoxoxo