Saturday, February 21, 2009

Busts


Okay this isn't anything to write home about but I was quite fascinated with what I saw today and thought I would share. So there are a lot of "foreigners" selling knock-off purses, wallets and bags "vendors" and they lay their stuff down on the sidewalk on a sheet like cloth. Now I was always thinking why do they all the sell the same stuff right beside each other and today I answered my own question. They stick together because one of them always have to be on the look out for the police - because they don't really have a permit to sell this stuff.


I was waiting for Kate at a metro stop and all of a sudden I see this guy run for his life followed by this other guy carrying his wrapped up sheet of goods followed by a police officer. Then I looked back to see where they came from and the guy with the stash was the lucky was (in his eyes b/c he had his goods) the other guys not so lucky as I watched the police confiscate all their bags. (see photo)


Then we went downtown (Syntagma Square) and I watched many police raids and running vendors. However, the vendors didn't go far and then they would laid their stuff down again. Honestly many people bought the merchandise in the 8 mins. they were there before the police made them scatter again. It was sort of entertaining!


But I was really downtown to go Carnival shopping as I am going to a mascaraed party tonight. Stayed tuned for that blog entry!

No comments: