Friday, August 22, 2008

Movers

So how does one get their belongings over to Greece? Good question. ACS provided three different companies and after emailing each and having two different people come and assess my belongings and give me a quote – I decided on Eagle Van Lines. We decided that Thursday, July 17 was moving day. I had this never ending pile of belongings that I kept adding to in my living room. I had the bins of teacher supply items, clothes, more clothes, shoes, my photographs which were on my “gallery” wall, books. When the movers came they also boxed up my dishes, pots and pans, silverware – more clothes, my folding up chair, my desk, my comfy foam mattress topper, and I am sure more of other things. I think it was 18 boxes and an hour and a half later the three guys carted my stuff out.
This has left me with one large suitcase, 2 duffel bags, a small carry on suitcase, my computer bag and other pieces of furniture I needed to find homes for. Thankfully for Craigslist.org – as this is the site I used to sell most of my possessions. My IKEA chair and ottoman, my TV, printer, kitchen table and chairs, bookshelves, Magic Bullet, bedside tables, etc.
Pavlos my mover contact man had informed me when I began looking into moving my belongings that the Athens port has been on strike for the past 4 months which means that the goods going into there needed to be split onto different boats and taken to different ports. So I needed to take this into account – thus the July 17 moving day!
As of August 11, my goods were just getting into a container and onto a boat in Baltimore. Estimated day of arrival in Athens is September 20….but I will keep you posted!

No comments: