Saturday, August 30, 2008

Apartment Adventures

Life has been non-stop for 8 days in a row. I have left the hotel at 8:30am and not returned until 10-11pm. This week we have been at school getting our rooms ready or at the public hospital getting our x-rays for our workers permit.

We all travelled to IKEA - okay much further out than we thought and we didn't buy the correct metro ticket and 2 of my colleagues got caught and each got a $75 ticket - we all learned our lesson! I am very glad I brought my English IKEA catalog because everything was in Greek. I bought a bed, a eating table that expands from a square to a rectangle table, one chair - they were out of the other ones. And a coffee table and 2 lamps. Thursday we had to go back to IKEA and the appliance store but fortunately ACS rented us a bus. I got my wash machine, oven/stove and fridge and then the couch (which becomes a bed for my visitors...)

Today - Saturday, I went to my apartment to wait for my items to be delivered. Since I don't have a mobile phone I didn't know when it was arriving. So I got there at 9:30 and the appliances arrived at 1:30 and the furniture arrived at 5pm. It was a boring day (although I tried to get work done) but no electricity and I couldn't leave.

The area where my flat is located is like Bethesda. My landlord said it was the second most expensive area in Athens. It is in a fantastic location. Although I do need to take a bus to the metro. It has all the daily stores I need - grocery is 1 min. down the road. There are a lot of pizza places, tavernas, a park and playground, a church, bookstore, butcher, coffee, gelato, etc. I promise to get pictures up soon.

Tomorrow should be less exhausting. Some people are going to an island but I don't have time. I need to work in my classroom, plan and continue to my furniture together. Thankfully my classroom does have AC but it is quite small and I just found out I have 24 students - 24 OMG.


No comments: