Monday, June 25, 2018

Picturesque Portugal - Algarve

There are so many beautiful, even stunning beaches in this area.  I definitely could have used another week or 2 to explore more areas, but what I did explore from beaches to mountains to little villages all beautiful.

I found a gorgeous beach called Beliche on my way from Luz to Sagres. The water was crystal clear, beach soft - absolutely stunning.
Cliff views around Sagres
Southern most spot in Europe
so much inexpensive yet beautiful pottery
Carvoeiro

Beliche Beach


You can easily drive to Sagres to the lighthouse which is the furthest southern point of Europe. 

Up in the mountains provide cooler temperatures as well as beautiful views of the Algarve area.  I headed to Monchique. 

There are many picturesque towns.  I particularly liked Ferragudo - a fishermen's village. 

Ferragudo



Another popular town and beach was Carvoeiro - for me, this was too large of a town and the beach was very shelly and small. 



However, what everyone should do is visit the  Ponta de Piedade off of Lagos.  I initially looked into the boat tours from TripAdvisor which were larger boats and scheduled at certain times, which didn't work in my schedule.  But then as I was walking along the canal, there were many different tour companies which offer boat trips. So I went out with one which cost me 20 Euros for 45 minutes and it was a smaller boat which could go further into the caves.  I would have done a kayak trip if I was someone else.







I will definitely go back.  Gorgeous environment, lovely people (most speak English), great weather (no humidity) - relaxing. 



No comments: