Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sichuan Province highlights - China




I arrived in Chengdu, China west China in Sichuan Province early on April 3, 2012 and walked around the town for the day and did a Sichuan Cooking class in the evening.  My hotel was in this historical (tourist) spot.  And as it was the holiday, Sweeping of the Tombs it was quite crowded with Chinese tourists.

practicing my chopstick skills
Second half of the was exploring more of my neighborhood so past there place I had gone twice but not much further there was tons of stalls of merchandise and food. A lot of food I could not tell you what it was and scared to even guess but I finally found some food to eat. It was a good thing to as I was becoming quite hungry. This is a difficult nothing for me traveling by myself as I am so unsure of the food I go hungry. But after some careful watching and some signs written in English I was able to buy some food.

My driver picked me up at 7:30 and took me to a place to see the Sichuan opera which is actually not an opera but a collection of performers.  There was some dance performance which told about some ancient story, shadow hand presentation which was quite neat as the person also had sound effects for the animals, a hand puppet with sticks performance, a acrobat - a girl who lay back on this tilted cushion and spun things with her feet. She began with circular cloths and then went on to a large vase and a square table. Then there was this comedian duo and then this man who played a two stringed instrument with a bow. And the finale was the changing faces performance. I had seen this at the lantern festival in the Chinese gardens in September but even closer I still don't get how their faces change - quite cool!

No comments: