Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 7 - Summer Palace and Pearls

What a day!  No tour today but up at the crack of dawn and so thought I should start my day!  Was on the metro by 8:30 on my hour long trip up to the northwest area to see The Summer Palace. I obviously went in the entrance not used my tours or tourists as I was wandering around for a good hour in the woods wondering why everyone thought this was such a great place to visit and then finally I get over the hill and low and behold there is the lake and loads of people.

Long Corridor


I walked around this palace forever! It was so windy the paddle boats which usually are all over the lake were parked, unable to rent. But I walked over the seventeen -arch bridge made with marble lion on top of the 544 balusters.

This palace was made by empress Cixi.  She is remembered as China's most powerful woman.  She borne one emperor's son as an imperial concubine, she became power to the throne to two more, her son and nephew.  She was known as the leader behind the curtain.  Since she was a woman she was not allowed to be part of the politics so she had a sitting room beside the council rooms separated by a curtain so she could hear what was going on.  Also since her son was so young she needed to know what was going on so she could advise him.  She blocked the state reforms and lent support to the xenophobic Boxers in their rebellion, she paved the way to end the imperial era. 
Then I found the Long Corridor and then took an unpaved path up back up the hill to reach the Tower of the Fragrance of the Budda. The views overlooking the lake and palace were great but I smelled no fragrance and we couldn't take photos of the woman Budda which had 24 arms.















I went back on the metro to Hong Qiao Market (aka The Pearl Market) Oh My Goodness this place was huge. First floor sold watches, silk clothes; second floor shoes, purses, bags; third floor pearls and other gems and stones; fourth floor more pearl shops but more in a store location not like the stalls on the floor below.  Serendipitously I picked this one store called Ling Ling. I saw the price of one of the necklaces and was turning to walk out when someone said they had lest expensive pearls. Long in short, I spent 2 hours there buying so many pearl items, necklaces, bracelets and earrings. I custom made 2 of the which I coin then Jill Jewel necklace. The pearl necklaces come on these strings all clumped together and then once you decide to buy one they restring them putting a knot between each pearl and attach a clasp.  I have many gifts all set for the year!!!


in front of the Pearl Market

So when I got home/back to the hotel and checked my emails Kirsty had recommended Ling Ling pearl store as they had a good reputation for good quality pearls. Jane the woman who helped me said that most of their business is wholesale sellers and not usually tourists.
I did bargain some but it was so cheap to begin with it was difficult and I was on my own.
On my way out, I also bought a new larger Longchamp purse and a bright pink Tory Burch purse.

Finally got back to the hotel at 5:15 and needed to be at Bryan and Jane's hotel at 6:30 showered and ready for dinner which I successfully accomplished whilst making reservations as well. We went to Din Tai Feng restaurant which is well-known for its dumplings.
And for the last night ended it in an illegal taxi just like when I started!!!!

No comments: