Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 2 - Evening

Sugar cane juice

Though I had stayed awake all day and had gone to bed at 10pm, I had awoken bright eyed and bushy tailed at 3 am and never went back to sleep.  So after the whirlwind of apartment shopping I tried to rest in the hotel room… they are unfortunately doing construction on the 6th floor and I am staying on the 7th floor so now peace and quiet.  So I headed to the pool, but the clouds started to form, the wind began to blow and then there was something else blowing through the air… we were asked to leave the pool area because they were fumigating the area to get rid of mosquitoes.  AAGH!   

Just as I was leaving.. Dorothy and her partner Bruce came by and wanted to know all about my shopping adventure so met at the pool and chit-chatted over some cocktails.  

They make a lot of different juices; sugar cane, watermelon, starfruit, avocado, basically any fruit.  I look forward to trying some new ones every day.

In the meantime, we met more CIS folks and collected some more people at our table and decided to head to Chinatown for dinner.  We ended up at the hawker stands in Chinatown for dinner---I don’t think I will frequent there too often but Smith St. a main street in Chinatown which is closed to cars in the evening looked more inviting, and I will definitely go back to that area.  We watched some fireworks as they were practicing for August 9th National Day celebration (similar to Independence Day).  And then head home.  What a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got to try the local cuisine!!! Dungpo pork..char sui

When we come I'm game for lots of local "let's try this", so search them out...

Love
dad
xxxoxo