Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 2 - Apartment Shopping


Day 2
What a day!  This morning I met Jean Thoo (the recommended realtor) to go apartment shopping.  After listening to my new friend’s Dorothy and Mylene’s experiences and their descriptions of their found apartments, I was concerned there weren’t going to be any good apartments left, as both of them were also looking for 2 bedroom apartments in the same area. 
As the sun was shining today and the humidity was increasing with each passing hour, Jean and I toured around neighborhoods near the school.  Now let me note this, no one told me that in the Chinese culture you are to take your shoes off prior to entering an apartment.  With this said of all the shoes I could have worn today, which pair did I choose?  My Cleopatra sandals from the Greek sandal man – the ones with 2 buckles per shoe!  OMG!
living/dining room


I had noted to Jean the importance of my apartment to be close to shops, preferably other teachers, 2 bedrooms, good closet space, fully furnished (with appliances) and a balcony; and between $2200-3000 Singaporean Dollars.  The school gives us $2200 SD a month for rent though no one can find an apartment for $2200.
Jean was very thorough of what I was going to see today, where the shops and main transportation was located and provided me with my requested maps.  Every community (apartment complex) has a guard shack (though Singapore is very safe).  Most communities have more than one tower of apartments and all the ones I saw had a beautiful pool area, tennis courts, a gym and a BBQ pit; some even had squash courts.
master bedroom and bathroom

good closet space
2nd bedroom - built in desk



Each apartment showing, I took tons of pictures, as they all tended to blend together and made notes on the sheet Jean had provided for me with the basic facts as what the community was called, the square footage, number of bedrooms, anemeties, availability and price.
As we approached the 4th apartment area, as we stopped at the light to turn right, Jean pointed out the post office, shops and eateries close to this apartment.  I turned to Jean and said I had a good feeling about this apartment (even though I hadn’t even seen it yet).  And I was right!  Not only is it close to shops, it is close to many teachers, including Dorothy and my second grade buddy Zoe.  And it is in walking distance to the Toh Tuck Campus.  The TT campus is the campus I will begin working at in August; however at the end of October the TT campus and the Jarong East campus will be moving to the Lakeside Campus which is further away.  But my friends and I can taxi-pool or take the bus/metro together.
kitchen - note no oven!
So long story a little shorter, I continued to view the last 2 apartments but #4 was my favorite, so Jean put an offer into it.  We asked for $300 less of what they were asking and ended up getting $200 less than they were asking and a 23 month lease.  So my apartment has 2 bedrooms, tons of closet/cupboard space, a balcony looking out into green trees (see photo below), 2 full baths (one with tub other with shower only); living room with flat screen TV, dining room, washing machine and kitchen.  Now the kitchen… it has a fridge and a gas stove.  No oven.  Only some had ovens as the Chinese hardly ever use an oven.  We will see how that alters my life!  The kitchen was relatively spacious but no oven, can you believe it?
wash machine
So I have already signed the papers and we think I can move in July 27th.  There was another teacher from CIS who was living in this apartment last year, so the landlord was used to CIS’ forms and therefore he agreed with the CIS contract – which is a little different than a standard one.  Therefore I have 30 days from the day I move into the apartment to make sure everything is working properly – if it isn’t the landlord needs to fix it.  Another difference is when I leave I have to take down and fill any holes I have put in the walls but I don’t have to repaint.  There are some other clauses which benefit’s me which the landlord has agreed upon.
CIS graciously puts all the money upfront for the deposit (2 months worth) plus first month’s rent, plus ¼ of the month’s rent as commission for the realtor, plus the stamp fee of $200.  And it will be taken out my pay check over the next 3 months.  Thank goodness!
view from living room/balcony - peaceful!
So it was truly a successful day!  And that was just the morning…..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous view from the apartment! The view of hanging cooked livestock on the other hand would make me a herbavore in about 3 seconds! Glad to hear you're walking distance to work and the local pub...enjoy both!
-mare

connie said...

Congratulations, Jill! Terrific place and so nice to have it settled so soon. Many blessings in your new home.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great place to live.Glad you arrived safely and everything appears positive.
Look forward to further blogs.
Love Helen and Charles

d-wain said...

So how much ARE you paying?

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are going to have a good year or two--love reading your blog :)))
Liz

Player of words said...

It looks great Jill! I'm jealous of your view. You didn't see ours, it's of construction and the financial center.