Monday, October 20, 2014

SL - 6 - Galle - Fort Area UNESCO site

The Four Printers Hotel (courtyard)


mod of transportation - tuk-tuk

Spice Queen - spice shack - Old Dutch Market




Katie and Sandy's friend Andy joined us in Galle and they all set out to shop the stores inThe Fort area, though I had an adventurous day on my own. 

I left the Fort area and men kept saying to me to go to the Old Dutch market as it closed soon, so initially I thought I would just walk there but didn't know exactly where it was and I had not ridden in a Tuk-Tuk yet I hopped in one and he took me to the vegetable and spice market. Well the spice market was really a spice shack. But I was invited right into the spice shack and I smelled all different fresh spices. So I bought some but was worried that I wouldn't remember the recipe so they wrote it down for me to use for mets and it has 38 spices in it. It needs to be put in glass jars and shake it daily in humid climates. 

Then I went or was taken to a souvenir wood craft place then after learning a little more about the fisherman on the sticks thought it was only down south so decided to have my Tuk-Tuk driver to take me out to Koggala beach 16 km away to see them. I didn't think it all the way through as it was midday and they only work sunrise and sunset, but we found 4 still on sticks so I took some photos and 2 of the men came off their sticks to show me their catch, little fish. 

traditional fishing on sticks





Sri Lankan people are always asking for tourists email addresses which I always fake, well while I was chatting to one guy, I asked his name and I didn't really hear him so I said "say it again" and he thought I was saying my name and he responded nice to meet you Sayitagain! I was really cracking up inside!  So the email address was sayitagain@gmail.com.  My driver said I should not give my email to people because they will email asking. For money due to the tsunami, I said don't worry I gave a fake email, he laughed and said smart! :)

I did a little shopping and bought an interesting ring for $100 USD 

Then we went back to the hotel and I met Katie and Andy and joined them and Sandy and Jenny for a drink at a bar before our historical walking tour with Juliette Coombs at 5:30.  
 
The tour was very informative about how we can identify the different architecture between the Portuguese, Dutch and British. How and why the fort walls were built and more information about the tsunami and the civil war. Out of nowhere a huge downpour of rain happened upon us, so we went to a new area. Well the building was used for the British hospital but just opened with different restaurants and shops. 

Jenny and I ate in one called Sugar for some western food. 

No comments: