Thursday, August 13, 2009

Have Arrived in Africa

I safely arrived in Kilimanjaro Africa last night (July 31, 2009). My flight to Amsterdam from Athens I sat beside a woman from Texas who has been to AFrica multiple times and gave me so points about Arusha. The flight from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro was a full plane and after about 12 hours of complete flying I arrived! We went through the paper work, bought my Visa for $50 picked up my bag and when i walked out of baggage there was Alfred holding a sign "Welcome Jill Rivers". He and his friend led me to a small blue car and we started our one hour journey to Arusha in the pitch blackness.
The starry night was amazing - there were so many people walking along this dark road or riding their bikes I am surprised no was hit. Saw no animals - possible a bobcat looking thing but couldn't tell you for sure.
The Arusha Centre Tourist Inn was nothing i would have voluntarily chosen myself but since I was meeting the tour here today - agreeed to stay. I was so tired but had difficulty sleeping b/c I think my hotel is right beside a muslim building and I heard singing through a PA system until about 3 am.
This morning had breakfast, showered and now typing away at Cybernet Cafe. Although there really isn't any time zone change i am tired.
I think I will find the tourist market and a coffee cafe and read.
I am really not sure when I will be able to get online again - or where there will be electricity for that matter. Oh my goodness! But keep checking this rather than email. this is like my mass emails.

2 comments:

dad said...

AHHA...you in Arusha, unknown territory, adventure, excitement anxiety... we in GRB, deja vu territory, peace and quiet, fond memories...things couldn't be more different for you and we!!!!
Very good to hear from you, glad you are there safe and sound...

Good visit with the Bottens...long drive today...McKergows arrived today as well, and we just returned from a wonderful evening at the Ramp in Cape Porpoise...ocean air is the best..

Have fun, be careful, stay in touch..enjoy the wildlife and send pics

Love
dad
xxoxxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

We saw Adele ,John and Alex yesterday for dinner. Alex was so excited to show us the photos of their visit with you.
Have fun in Africa...look forward to more photos.
Love Helen and Charles